Back to Top
Justice Home > Victims services & support > Help for victims of sexual assault

Victims Access Line 1800 633 063 Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Quick Exit

Safety and protection

In this section you'll find more information about things you can do to improve your safety after being sexually assaulted. No matter when the sexual assault happened, your safety is vital.

If you are in immediate danger, contact the police on phone number: 000

A handy online resource about safety is available on the Eastern and Central Sexual Assault Service website.

Legal protection

There are ways you can be legally protected from the offender.

If the person who assaulted you can be identified by you or the police then:

  • you can receive legal protection straight away by contacting the police and reporting the sexual assault and in some cases the police may be able to arrest and charge the person quickly and he or she will have bail refused. If bail is granted you may be protected by bail conditions. If the accused is charged, then bail conditions may be applied to prevent any contact with you.
  • you can also gain protection via an Apprehended Domestic Violence Order (ADVO) or Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO). These are court orders designed to prevent the offender contacting you. You can apply for an ADVO or APVO yourself or the police may do this on your behalf. The person does not have to be charged for you to get an APVO or ADVO.

Safety for victims of past sexual assault

Being a victim of a past sexual assault could mean that you have not had contact with the offender for many years. However, if the offender is a family member or friend then it is possible you still have contact with them
No matter when the sexual assault happened, your safety is vital.

When considering your situation, think about the following:

  • Do you have day-to-day contact with the offender?
  • Does this person frighten or intimidate you?
  • What is the offender's relationship with people you know?
  • Who do you trust?
If you fear for your safety, consider whether you want to:
  • Talk to a counsellor or police officer about your concerns
  • Report the incident to the police
  • Report the incident to the Child Protection Helpline (formerly DoCS Helpline), if you are a child or young person or are concerned about a child or young person
  • Take out an apprehended domestic violence order (ADVO) or apprehended personal violence order (APVO).

Information about the offender

If an offender is found guilty and has been sentenced, and you are in fear of the offender or would like to get certain limited information about them or their release, you may be eligible to be listed on a Victims Register.

The registers are confidential.

Corrective Services NSW has responsibility for people who have been convicted of an offence and are in custody or are being supervised in the community.
Phone: (02) 8346 1374

The Forensic Division of the Mental Health Review Tribunal has responsibility for maintaining a register for victims of forensic patients.
Phone: (02) 9816 5955

Juvenile Justice has responsibility for young people who have been convicted of an offence and are in custody.
Phone: (02) 9219 9400  

Agencies you can contact if you do not feel safe

There are a number of agencies you can contact to discuss issues relating feeling safe :

  • NSW Police on 000 in an emergency or visit your local police station
  • Child Protection Helpline on 132 111, in relation to children and young people
  • LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529
  • Victims Access Line on 1800 633 063
  • Counselling services such as Sexual Assault Services in your local area health service
  • Child and Adolescent Sexual Assault Counselling (CASAC) on (02) 9601 3790
  • Rape Crisis Service on 1800 424 017
This website contains a full list of contacts and services.    
Top of page