Victims Access Line 1800 633 063 Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Quick Exit

Aboriginal people

There are various community and government organisations that can provide information, support and legal advice to Aboriginals who are victims of crime.

For a summary of the contact details of the various support services, please refer to Help and Support section.

Support when contacting the police

If you are Aboriginal and a victim of crime and are worried about going to the police you can talk to an Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer. Aboriginal Community Liaison Officers are civilian employees located in Police Local Area Commands across NSW.

Aboriginal Community Liaison Officers work closely with the Aboriginal community, and their duties include encouraging Aboriginal people to discuss with police crime and violence in their community. These liaison officers work to develop open communication and mutual understanding between Aboriginal people and police.

Support at court

There are a number of specialist court support services that can assist victims of Aboriginal background.

For matters where the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) is prosecuting, the ODPP's Witness Assistance Service has Aboriginal Witness Assistance Officers that can assist indigenous victims and witnesses. The Witness Assistance Service provides a service to both adults and children.

Aboriginal Client Service Specialists are located at a number of court houses across the state. These specialists assist and inform Aboriginal people, including witnesses and victims of crime, about court services. The Department of Justice can supply more information.