Justice Home > Victims Services > Help and support contacts

Learn how our essential services will continue to operate as we respond 'Together against COVID-19'.

Victims Access Line 1800 633 063 Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Quick Exit

Specific crimes 

For certain crimes there may additional specialised support available. The Justice Journey section of our website has more detailed information on the following crimes:

Other crimes of particular current public interest are:  

Drink spiking

When a drink is spiked it means that alcohol or drugs (illicit or prescription) have been added to the drink without the persons knowledge or approval. The practice is illegal and potentially deadly to the person whose drink is spiked.

Where does drink spiking happen?

Most cases of drink spiking happen at night clubs and pubs. However, there have also been incidents of drink spiking at private parties, school functions and restaurants.

What should you do if you think your drink has been spiked?

If you think you have consumed a drink that has been spiked, alert someone you trust. If you are out alone or can't reach your friends, alert a staff member at the place you are. You should also get medical attention immediately and insist on providing urine and blood samples. If you have been spiked, the drugs don't stay in your system for long, so give samples straight away.

Police and sexual health clinics also have access to facilities that can provide the level of testing required, and your samples can be preserved as evidence if you chose to have police investigate the matter.

If you feel you cannot speak to anyone initially, at least get a sample of your urine and store it in a clean sealable container in the fridge until you decide what you want to do.

More information    

Brochure (NSW Police)
Drink spiking - myths and facts (PDF, 475Kb)

Identity theft

Identity theft is form of identity fraud. It is the theft and use of personal information used to identify people. It can include the theft and use of information of persons either living or deceased.

How can identity theft happen?

Identity theft happens in many ways. It can be by somebody using your credit card details illegally to make purchases over the internet or telephone, through to having your entire identity taken by another person to open bank accounts, take out loans, make tax returns and conduct other business illegally in your name.

Identity theft can happen easily. For example, you could have your credit card details stored illegally when you make a purchase, lose your wallet or other personal effects, or have them stolen.

How can I report identity theft?

You should report all instances of identity theft or fraud to your local police, even if only small amounts of money are involved. Depending on how your identity has been used, you may need to contact a number of other organisations. These could include Australian state and local government agencies, finance providers such as banks and credit unions, utility providers and retail stores.

More information    

Webpage (Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department)
Identity Security

Information for victims of youth crime

Police and the courts must consider many things in deciding how to deal with a young person who has committed a crime.

The Young Offenders Act 1997 makes available a number of options, such as:

  • issuing a warning
  • cautioning the young person in the presence of their parent(s)/guardian(s),
  • referring the young person to a young justice conference at which victims are invited to attend to talk about how the crime has affected them.

Children's Court

NSW State Insurance Regulatory Authority compensation scheme 

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be able to claim personal injury compensation under the NSW State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA).

Making a claim

If you have lost a relative in a road accident and would like to know more about compensation for relatives provided under SIRA. 

Losing a relative in a road accident

Enough is Enough Anti Violence Movement Inc has a Road Trauma Support Network which can provide support and referral.

Enough is Enough

Victims of Crime Assistance League (VOCAL)