Justice Home > Victims Services > Victims Support Scheme

Learn how our essential services will continue to operate as we respond 'Together against COVID-19'.

Victims Access Line (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm) 1800 633 063

Quick Exit

Requesting an internal review            

What is an internal review?

An internal review is a fresh look at a decision of an Assessor regarding an application for Victims Support that is undertaken by a Senior Assessor at Victims Services.

Why should I request an internal review?

If you disagree with a decision that you have received in regard to an application for victims support under the Victims Rights and Support Act 2013, you can ask Victims Services to review that decision.

How long do I have to lodge an internal review?

You have 90 days from the day you were given notice of the Assessor's decision. If you think that you may want to lodge a review you should contact Victims Services as soon as possible after you receive the decision (in accordance with section 49 of the Act).

What do I have to provide to request an internal review?

You should make your request for an internal review in writing and state the reasons why you disagree with the decision. You may use the Internal Review request form (PDF, 114Kb).

After the review request is lodged, you will have further time to provide any extra evidence that you may wish to submit.

How do I send my request for an internal review?

There is a SUBMIT button on the Internal Review request form (PDF, 114Kb) or you can attach the request form to an email and send it to:
Email: vs@justice.nsw.gov.au

The Commissioner of Victims Rights
Victims Services
Locked Bag 5118

Email: vs@justice.nsw.gov.au

How long will it take for my internal review to be decided?

The Act requires that you receive notice of the internal review decision within 42 days of the receipt of your request.

The review decision can be deferred and arrangements made to extend this time where further information is needed.

Will other aspects of my claim stop while the review is taking place?

Only the part of the decision that is being reviewed will be suspended. Other aspects of your claim that are not affected by the review may continue.

What if I disagree with the internal review decision?

If you disagree with an internal review decision regarding your eligibility for a recognition payment, you may apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal for an administrative review.

Are you still not sure about the internal review procedure, or whether you should request a review?

Contact Victims Services on 1800 633 063.