Justice Home > Victims Services > Financial support

Financial assistance for economic loss

    Who is eligible?

    Primary victims are eligible to apply for financial assistance.

    A parent or guardian of a child under the age of 18 may also be eligible to claim financial assistance, however the assistance needed must be in relation to the care of the child rather than your own personal expenses, for example loss of earnings whilst caring for your child.

    What can I claim?

    Financial assistance is available to cover:

    • Medical and dental expenses not covered under 'immediate needs'

    • Reasonable travel expenses

    • Assistance with cost of living and other expenses including rent assistance, furniture, child care and household bills up to $5000 for those victims who were not employed at the time of the crime.

    • Expenses associated with court proceedings related to the act of violence, such as preparing victim impact statements and other justice related expenses, up to $5000.

    • The legal fees of a legal practitioner are not included.

    • Loss of earnings up to $20,000 (there is no allowance for future loss)

    • Up to $5000 for out of pocket expenses, including loss of clothing

    How much will I get?

    The maximum amount of assistance payable under this category is $30,000. All the expenses claimed must be a direct result of the act of violence. Before your claim is determined by the Assessor you will need to provide receipts and invoices in support of your claim.

    Only net expenses are payable and Medicare, health fund or other rebates will be deducted first. If it appears that Medicare or other rebates are payable and no advice is received to the contrary, an estimated 75% will be deducted from the expenses claimed.

    What do I need to provide in support of my claim?

    To support the application you need to provide a police report or report from a government agency, such as DOCS or NSW Housing AND a medical, dental or counselling report verifying that you have been injured (physical or psychological) as a result of the act of violence.

    Where can I get help with my claim?

    If you need assistance, you can contact the Victims Access Line on 1800 633 063 to be allocated a Support Coordinator who will help you with your claim and getting evidence.

    For further information about the other types of support available and eligibility, please call the Victims Access Line on 1800 633 063.

    If it is an emergency, or you need counselling or advice please call the Victims Access Line on 1800 633 063 or fill in the Online Enquiry Form (PDF, 118Kb).