Victims Access Line 1800 633 063 Aboriginal Contact Line 1800 019 123 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Quick Exit

​What happens next

  1. Your application will take up to two working days to process. You or your representative will then be sent a letter about the decision for counselling
  2. Your application for counselling has been approved you may contact your Approved Counsellor for an initial appointment.
  3. This initial appointment may be up to two hours and gives the Approved Counsellor an opportunity to assess your situation and write a report for victim services. The report will outline the act of violence, the injuries you have received and the assistance counselling will provide, with a recommendation about whether to use the remaining eight hours available. It is possible that you may only require the initial two hours to overcome the problems you are experiencing as a result of the act of violence and you may decide not to proceed further.
  4. If you have used your initial 10 hours of counselling and both you and your counsellor decide further counselling will be beneficial, the Approved Counsellor will write a brief progress report to Victims Services. The report will include a recommendation as to the number of further counselling hours required. It is possible to request up to 12 more hours of counselling.
  5. You will be asked to complete a form requesting further counselling (an online version is available).
  6. Victims Services will decide whether further hours of counselling will be approved.

Special requirements

  • If you need an interpreter to help you in your counselling sessions let your Approved Counsellor know when you make an appointment.
  • If you live interstate and have been a victim of a violent crime in NSW, counselling may be organised in the state where you are now living.
  • If you have any other special requirements, for example you have a disability or the counselling is required for a young child, you can contact us on 1800 633 063 to discuss your requirements further.

Other counselling support

If you are not eligible for Approved Counselling you can access counselling from a variety of organisations throughout NSW.

Counselling is provided by NSW Health and a number of community based organisations or you can contact your local GP who can refer you to a counsellor. These services are generally free of charge. Alternatively, you can see a counsellor of your choice, but you may have to pay the costs yourself.

You can call us on 1800 633 063 for more information on counselling support.