Department of Justice is now the Department of Communities and Justice.  Find out more >

How to apply for counselling

Lodge an application for Approved Counselling online

You may apply for up to 22 hours of free counselling by completing the online form on our Forms page.

We encourage you to contact the Victims Access Line (1800 633 063) if you need assistance or have any questions.

Family Victims Seeking Counselling

If you are a family member of a homicide victim and you wish to apply for counselling, please complete the Application for support for a family member of a homicide victim form. Contact us for more information on support for a family member of a homicide victim.

Make an application over the phone

You can contact the Victims Access Line (VAL) on 1800 633 063 between 8am and 6pm and speak with the Client Service Team. They can help you to fill out an application for counselling and you can also discuss your preferences in relation to Counsellors.

Your guardian or support person can assist you with the application form or they can contact Victims Services on your behalf.

Special requirements

If you need an interpreter to assist you during your counselling sessions let your Approved Counsellor know when you make an appointment so that they can organise this for you.

If you live interstate and have been a victim of a violent crime in NSW, counselling may be organised in the state where you are now living. Contact a Support Coordinator to discuss this further.

If you have any other special requirements, for example, if you have certain access needs or counselling is required for a young child, you can contact us to discuss this further.

What happens after your application is approved

  1. Your application will take up to two working days to process. Victims Services will send you or your representative a letter when a decision on your application is made.

  2. Victims Services will provide you with a referral letter to the Approved Counsellor you have requested in your application, or nominated by Victims Services based on the information you have provided in your form or through discussions with a Senior Client Liaison Representative.

  3. The referral letter will include contact details for the Approved Counsellor. You may contact your Approved Counsellor for an initial appointment when you are ready to.

  4. An initial appointment may be a long appointment of up to 2 hours or span over 2 sessions. This gives the Approved Counsellor an opportunity to assess your situation and prepare an initial assessment that will be forwarded to Victims Services. The initial assessment will include some details about the act of violence, the symptoms you are experiencing, and interventions the counsellor suggests may help you achieve your counselling goals.

  5. Victims Services makes decisions regarding requests for further hours of counselling. Confirmation of these decisions will be in writing to you or your representative.

  6. You may request to change counsellors at any time for counselling.

Other counselling support

If you are not eligible for Approved Counselling you can access counselling through various organisations throughout NSW.

You can contact us on 1800 633 063 for more information on counselling support.

Counselling is provided by NSW Health and a number of community based organisations,these services are generally free of charge or you can speak to your GP for a referral to a counsellor. Alternatively, you can see a private counsellor of your choice, and you may have to pay the costs yourself.