The Approved Counselling Service      

The Approved Counselling Service provides free counselling to victims of violent crimes that have occurred in NSW.

The counsellors with the Service are social workers, psychologists, clinical psychologists or psychiatrists in private practice who have proven experience in working with victims of crime. They are paid by Victims Services and are available in the metropolitan and most rural and regional areas in NSW.

There is a list of Approved Counsellors on this website and information about choosing an Approved Counsellor.

Find out if you are eligible to apply and how to apply online for 22 hours of counselling. Further hours of counselling may be approved if you need them.

If you are a qualified counsellor and wish to become a counsellor of Victims Services clients under the Approved Counselling Service please refer to How to become an Approved Counsellor webpage.

For further information about the operational framework of the Approved Counselling Service and the practice standards for counselling victims of crime, please refer to Practice Standards for Approved Counsellors (PDF, 1579Kb) (52pp book).