Debtor Payments 

Monthly instalments

You may make your payment using any of the following methods:

  • Direct debit
    - where your monthly instalment is automatically debited from your financial institution account on the 15th of each month.
  • Centrelink's Centrepay
    - where your instalment is deducted each fortnight from your social security payment. Please contact Victims Services to setup your repayments via Centrepay.      
  • PayWay
    - where you request a PayWay payment card to make payments yourself at any Australia Post Office by cash, BPay or EFT from a financial institution account.
  • Cheque
  • Money order      

You can use the Restitution Payment Options Application (PDF 100Kb) to select your payment method.

Where to send your payment

Your cheque or money order payment should be sent, together with a payment slip, to:

Finance Branch
Department of Justice
Locked Bag 5111

Cash payments may be presented in person to Level 1 160 Marsden Street Parramatta. NSW

Changed financial circumstances

Your financial circumstances may improve or become more difficult after an arrangement has been entered into, or order has been made against you.  A completed Affidavit of Financial Circumstances is required to enable the Commissioner to consider a change in your financial circumstances.  The Commissioner will consider an adjustment of the instalment amount under the arrangement or order.

Transfer of Restitution Debts to the Office of State Revenue (OSR)

On 1 May 2017 Victims Services commenced transferring debts to the Office of State Revenue (OSR). This followed from March 2017 when legislative amendments were passed under the Fines Amendment Act 2017 to enable unpaid restitution debt orders to be transferred to OSR and imposed as fines for collection by OSR. Defendants under current payment arrangements will need to ensure their payments are up to date. Should a debtor default or fall into arrears on their repayments, the debt may be transferred to OSR after the expiration of 28 days of a default notice being issued to the debtor.

Once the debt has been transferred to OSR, enforcement action will commence which can include:

  • cancelling or suspending of your driver’s licence or your vehicle registration
  • deducting money from your bank account or wages
  • authorising the Sheriff to seize your goods or property
  • placing a charge on any land or property you own
  • further costs associated with enforcement action will also be added

Frequently asked questions

Do I incur interest if my payment is not paid on time?

The order or arrangement made in respect of your restitution matter is free of interest if you maintain regular payments. If you accidentally miss a payment or are late in paying, interest generally will not be charged.

However, if you default on your order or arrangement over a period of time  interest may be applied to your debt.

I'm on a Centrelink social security benefit - do I have to pay?

You are liable to pay restitution even if you are in receipt of a social security payment (pension, New Start allowance, unemployment, disability, carers, etc).

If you set out your financial position in an Affidavit of Financial Circumstances  (PDF, 106Kb)  when you seek to enter into an arrangement or have an order made against you, those circumstances will be taken into consideration when a decision is made by the Commissioner on the amount you have to pay and the amount of any monthly instalment.

                                                       Can I do community service or prison instead of paying Restitution?

There are no provisions in the Victims Rights and Support Act 2013 for a restitution debt to be cleared by undertaking community service or imprisonment.

I have already paid/am paying the Victims Support Levy (previously known as Victims Compensation Levy) - why do I have to pay restitution?

Sec 106 of the Victims Rights and Support Act 2013 provides a person who is convicted of an offence under Sec 105 of that Act is liable to pay the Victims Support Levy.

If you have caused an injury to a person and have been convicted of an offence in relation to that injury, you will be liable for restitution if that victim applies for and receives victims support payments.