Justice Home > Victims Services and Support

How do I report a crime?    


    Contact the police    

    There are different ways to contact the NSW Police Force to report a crime:

    1. In an emergency, if you or someone else is in danger call Triple Zero 000 and ask for 'Police'.

    2. If you are not in danger and an urgent police response is not needed, phone the NSW Police Assistance Line (PAL) on 131 444.

    3. You may prefer to telephone or attend your local police station and speak to a police officer there. You can find the phone number and location of your local police station using the NSW Police Force website homepage: www.police.nsw.gov.au

    Police/Victim card

    When you report a crime to a police officer you will be given a Police/Victim Card to keep for future reference.

    On the front of the card are the contact details for the police officer in charge of the investigation - the name of the police officer, police station, phone number and the reference number or COPS Event number for your matter.

    On the back of the card you will find some of the important rights for victims of crime and contact details for the Victims Access Line if you need support or referrals.